Karate Kid

A senior with remarkable grades… and a black belt.

Lexie Clemmons, Reporter

Duncan2Photo By: Lexie Clemmons

You should never judge a book by it’s cover, especially if that book is a first degree black belt with an exemplary knife strike and knack for concentration.

The charismatic senior, Duncan Lutz-Dreyer, is a friend you would love to have, if you don’t already. In spite of his slightly reserved demeanor, he’s commonly recognized for his unavoidably honorable character, allowing many to dub him a model student. He’s kind, helpful, intelligent and extremely caring and it’s no secret that teachers and students alike enjoy his company.      

While there are few members of the panther population that haven’t met or heard of Lutz-Drier, an even smaller portion know some of the secrets concealed within his studious persona. But, I’ll let you in on the most intriguing of them all, which reveals a deeper meaning to his neighborly ‘hiya’ that goes beyond his friendly bid of salutations during passing time.

When he’s not at school,
the quintessential student spends his free time kickin’ it at Dave Hanson’s Gateway Karate in South County. There, he instructs classes every Tuesday and Saturday with the help of his younger brother, Liam Lutz-Dreyer. The two have led the classes together since 2012, after Duncan was honorably named a first degree black belt.

When I asked Sensei, Dave Hanson, what it is that Lutz-Dreyer brings to the dojo, he spoke very highly of him.Duncan3Photo By: Lexie Clemmons

“Duncan brings a lot of positive attitude and focus. He’s grown to the process and is learning to teach now, which really tests his skills and is taking him to the next level,” said Hanson.

To add to his list of great qualities, he bragged about Lutz-Dreyer’s leadership abilities and even said,

“If he keeps training he’s going to take my job someday,” as he let out a giggle lined with sincerity.

After speaking with Hanson, I began to wonder if overwhelming positivity was simply a trait of martial artists because he was just as pleasant as Duncan.

For some insight, I asked Lutz-Dreyer what the sport means to him and he said,

“Karate means to strive to perfect yourself on the inside and, in doing so, bettering your performance externally.”

Continuing, he assured me that working as an instructor isn’t his only method for clocking practice time. In addition to teaching his three classes, Lutz-Dreyer hones his skills with some intense solo work at the gym.

“I train two hours a week at the dojo and try to practice a few minutes everyday,” he resolved.

This is hardly a new routine considering the dojo has served as his training grounds since the fourth grade, making him a student for almost a decade.

“We are taught to train our character every day by maintaining a consistent attitude,” said Lutz-Dreyer.duncan1Photo By: Lexie Clemmons

That explains a lot.

It’d be a blatant lie to deny envy for the discipline and optimistic mindset that he has- and it only gets better. Despite the time for his transition into adulthood and post-secondary education nearing, karate holds its place as a high ranking priority,       

“I will continue training and assisting in classes throughout college,” he assured me.

“Karate has made me more aware of my character flaws and equipped me to overcome them. Additionally, I learned to be comfortable in my own skin.”

Though his karate skills were a little known talent, his relationship with the sport did plenty to shape the Duncan we all know and love.