Pursue a Career in the Arts

Daniel Byrne, Reporter

Many kids and young adults have heard from family or friends that the arts aren’t worth pursuing. They’re told that they won’t make it or there’s no money to be made. But there’s no reason not to follow their dreams and passions because of society’s views on how the arts isn’t a viable career. Like any other career, as long as you put in the work and have the talent and drive you can lead a fulfilling life.

A career in the arts doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re going to be homeless and living off ramen. There are many who are successful and are able to make a living off of the work they do. And that’s what it’s about, work. You never stop pushing yourself and your abilities. You strive to be better than the last time. You share your creation with the world. Don’t let down your dreams just because someone says a doctor or a lawyer is a more stable option. If you’re really true in your feelings and passions, then none of that matters.

When asked about obstacles in the arts, theatre director Alex Moore said that… “A struggle would be finding consistent work, finding full-time work. For an actor it doesn’t always revolve around getting to be in front of an audience or a camera, but it can be things like doing readings for new plays, it can be just finding part-time work here and there, voiceover work, or small little parts in the background. All of that can lead to an eventual income, it’s just that you’re not always guaranteed that nine to five paycheck.”

Sometimes the struggle comes from those close to you. “Especially going into high school or college, my parents had that concern ‘why not pick a normal major?’ Which went on through college, but it wasn’t until I was actually working that they started to see that you can work full-time. That can become a deficit to some people if they don’t have that encouragement that you can work in the arts”, said Moore.

A big issue is not seeing eye to eye with family members or friends about your career. The arts have gotten a bad rap from stereotypes such as the money it makes (or lack thereof), the little amount of effort or work needed to put in, or the picture that artists are snooty and obnoxious. Brush off the negativity and follow your heart. It’s not important what others say because it is your life. If you aren’t happy with your career, then you aren’t going to be happy with your life.

Moore continued, “Hearing from your family and your friends that you need to have a real job limits what you can do in the arts and makes your work feel worthless, so having that can be a struggle but it’s a struggle that you overcome because you deal with it every day with people saying your job is not a legitimate career when it is.”

Finding jobs isn’t as difficult as it’s made to be. “I worked for six years, I know people who work in St. Louis and around the country full-time, every day in the arts. Last year five million Americans worked full-time in the arts and received a full-time wage that equaled 135 billion dollars that came in the economy. 15 million people worked part-time in the arts and that total number equaled 16% of the national population, which is greater than the construction industry which is the second largest. There are jobs out there, there are careers out there.”

If you’re only in it to get rich or to get famous, then you’ll never make it. Someone who focuses on fame instead of just making beautiful work and honing your craft, then it’s not the path for you. Any visual or performing artist is never done with developing their skill. They never reach their peak and if they have, then that most likely means they aren’t cut out for a career in the arts. This isn’t meant to shoot your hopes down, this is to illustrate the fact that this path is long and difficult.

“If it’s something you’re passionate about, I’ve never had to wake up and just do a ‘job’ that I had to go to to earn money, I’ve been able to do something that I’m absolutely passionate about, that I enjoy going to, even now in education, I get to come in and talk about theatre every day. I didn’t just settle for this career, I came into this career to help others find that there is work, there is life in the arts.” said Moore.

“Before that when I was working full-time, no matter if I was selling tickets in the box office or getting work on stage, I got to know that I was sharing a part of myself, that I was sharing something I love with a greater community.”, said Moore.

A lot of times you will have to keep a part-time or full-time job in order to support yourself, but there are different jobs you can find related to your talents and interests. For theatre, there’s work in theme parks, historical museums, broadcast, or do voiceovers. Artsy types can go into graphic design, work with gaming companies, animation, advertising. Musical people can perform at events, write music, become an agent and scout for talent. These are just a few of the opportunities that are out there and to find them, all you need is to put yourself out there and look. It may not be what you had in mind with your degree but it’s something that you can use your degree and you might find yourself enjoying that job.

“Don’t give up. Even if you have to practice outside of home, staying after school, just doing everything you want to do at school outside of whoevers sight. Just not giving up, always practicing, always taking the time to do what you want to do, making time for yourself as well so you don’t overwork yourself.” said Senior Violette Duncil.

Duncil continued, “I would say if it’s what you really want to do, then it’s definitely worth. As long as know what you want to do then it’s always worth it, even if there’s obstacles in the way.”