Lindbergh vs. Mehlville Preview

Lindbergh vs. Mehlville – 7 p.m. – Jones Gym

Video Produced By: Andy Dummerth

John Erik Hoglund, Editor-in-Chief

Tuesday, Feb. 9, a pair of very evenly matched basketball teams will face off and add fuel their newly claimed rivalry. The Panthers (9-10) will host the 11-9 Lindbergh Flyers.

Players to Watch: 

Lindbergh: 

Greg Lahm – 20 GP    14.9 PPG   53.1% FG%    8.2 RBS     1.20 STL  (13 pts. away from 1,000 career pts.)

Dominic Davis –  19 GP  15.4 PPG  54.8% FG%   5.7 RBS   1.05 STL

Maurice Cade – 19 GP   5.5 PPG   62.5% FG%   (Last game: 10 Points)

Mehlville:

Doraine Adams –  19 GP    13.6 PPG   5.4 RBS    3.32 AST     43.4% FG

Dee Dodd – 12 GP     5.0 PPG    3.7 RBS    (Last Game: 10 Points)

Colby Maynard – 19 GP   8.6 PPG    3.5 RBS   1.79 Blocks/game

Keys to the Game:

Lindbergh:

Quiet the Panther fans early

With a big rivalry game comes a lot of student attendance. The home crowd is going to be loud. The Flyers are going to have to come out with some big plays to quiet the Mehlville side while keeping their many traveling fans happy and loud. Flashy plays are the Flyers strong suit and practically fuel to basketball fans. They can certainly get it done, but it has to come quick before the Panthers get comfortable.

Hold Doraine Adams under 10 points

Adams is the only player on the Panthers’ roster with more than 10 points per game (13.6). In fact, the Panthers are only 1-4 in games where Adams does not score ten or more points this season. It’ll be tough as nails to contain Adams, but it’s certainly possible.

Mehlville:

Slow Lahm and Davis down as much as possible

Greg Lahm (Lindbergh, senior)
Photo Courtesy of: Stltoday.com
Greg Lahm (Lindbergh, senior)

Senior, Greg Lahm and junior, Dominic Davis have combined for 51.4 percent of Lindbergh’s total points for the entire season. Together, they average 30.3 points per game. So, if the Panthers are able to slow them down, they should have an very good opportunity to outscore the Flyers.

Score, Score and Score some more… Don’t let the Flyers get back on track

Doron Adams drives to the hoop in the second half of a 69-59 home loss against Eureka.
Photo By: John Erik Hoglund

The Flyers’ defense has been completely shredded in a few games this season. Especially early in the season. Kirkwood was able to net 92 points on them earlier this season, and they hold a 53.5 points against average. So, if the Panthers are able to get their offense ahead of the Flyers quick, they could score more than usual. Though the Panthers play with a bit of a relaxed tempo offensively, this could be a high scoring affair. The Flyers are coming off of a close loss to Lafayette after a few wins in a row while the Panthers are trying to end a three game losing skid. Mehlville needs to get back on track while preventing the Flyers from getting back on track.

Feed Maynard in the Post

Senior, Colby Maynard calls for the pass in the post from senior, Kevin Yaeger.
Photo By: John Erik Hoglund

Senior, Colby Maynard has looked great in the post in recent games. The only problem is the team’s ability to get Maynard the ball. Pinned against a vulnerable Lindbergh defense, Maynard should be able to have a huge game if he gets a lot of scoring chances in the paint.

Ticket information:

Price:

$4 without Mehlville student ID

$2 with Mehlville student ID

More Information:

Andy Dummerth –

“The Panthers (9-10) take on the Flyers (11-9) at 7 pm Tuesday February 9th, 2016. Join us for this highly anticipated rivalry game! Pre-game in the Mehlville cafeteria and Gym B from 4-6:30. Pizza, body paint, games and a lot of fun activities will be provided! Dress in green and white, and show your Panther Pride!”

* Mehlville Media will be covering the entire Mehlville pregame festivities and  MHS/LHS Boys Varisty Basketball game on Tuesday with live Tweets, video and photo all night long. *