Adams Selected for International Thespian Festival

Emma Logan, Features Editor

Senior Catherine Adams was chosen to help with the International Thespian Festival in Nebraska. She will be given the opportunity to show her skills off as being part of the lights crew for the opening ceremonies.

The festival is a celebration of student achievement in the performing arts. There will be dancing, singing and much more throughout the week.

In order to be chosen for this Adams had to go through an application process, submit a technical portfolio, submit her transcript, a letter of recommendation and a short video explaining why she wanted to be a part of the crew for the show. Adams has done many things at Mehlville that she put in her portfolio such as being the Lighting Designer for And Then There Were None, and being the Master Electrician for Moon Over Buffalo.

During the show Adams will either be running a spotlight or running the light board. The theme of this years show is We Tell The Story. This will celebrate the works of Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty. She will also get the opportunity to work alongside people who have been in shows on Broadway and have designed for shows on Broadway. The production will also have the leading creative team for Disney Theme Parks to create the designs for the opening musical production.

“It’s an exciting learning experience.” Says Adams.

The show will be held at the University of Lincoln Nebraska. The show officially starts on June 19th, but, Adams will have to be there on June 17th, to help prepare and set up for the opening ceremonies.

Adams was one of two students from the St. Louis area chosen for the show. She was also one of 16 students from across the US.

Adams will be part of the crew to create a special cabaret-style show on the festival main stage featuring some of the industry’s biggest names and finest talent. Being part of the opening ceremonies will allow her to meet students who she could potentially be working with in the future, either in college or the professional world.

After high school, Adams plans on studying lighting design and eventually becoming a professional lighting designer and/or Master Electrician.

Graduating seniors performing in the show can audition for $35,000 in scholarships offered by the International Thespian Society.