Messy Mondays

Photo by Nicole Salman

Many believe that the C day schedule is a bad idea.

This school year, Mehlville has went to plan C, literally. The C day schedule has been an ongoing debate about how and if it is helping the teachers, students, and school. There are many facts to prove that the schedule should get switched back to A and B days and that the C days are too problematic.

The main concern with the C day schedule is the loss of TAP class. Instead of having TAP 2-3 days a week, students only have TAP on Wednesdays and Fridays. Sometimes, students only get TAP once a week because early dismissals are on B days and that excludes TAP. TAP is a great class to get homework done, catch up on work, talk to teachers about grades, and do other important things. Losing TAP with the C day schedule has affected students in a negative way, and will continue to affect students until there is a change with the C day schedule.

Another affect the C day schedule has on students and teachers is that classes are only 55 minutes because students have to go to all seven classes that day. Classes are cut short by half an hour, so many teachers do not have time to do a whole lesson and students do not usually have time to start their homework because so much time is lost. The classes on C days feel rushed compared to A or B days. C days are every Monday so the homework that students get from Thursday and Friday are all due on Monday. This can put a lot of stress on students because they have to have all their work done by Monday, when most are used to only having to complete some of their  for Monday. On top of, a lot of teachers are starting to have quizzes on C days, which is not a good way to start the week. For example, in some foreign language classes, every C day is the day to have a vocab quiz. C days are not meant to have quizzes or tests.

Many students and teachers of Mehlville say that if the school were to have a C day schedule, it should have been put on Friday’s instead of Monday’s. Many think it would be easier and better to end the week with a C day rather than to start the week with one. There has been talk around the school that the C day schedule may be switched next year to Friday’s, but there is a chance for that switch to happen even sooner, it is a possibility that there will be a switch on C days to Friday’s second semester of this school year. As of right now, the C day schedule is not set to change, but upgrades on the schedule are a possibility for the future.