It's Your Story, We Just Tell It.

Photo by Ayla Baumgartner

Dr. Valentino smiles in a MehlvilleToday interview.

Doctor Who?

Three years. Two points. Not the greatest achievement Dr. Tony Valentino has earned, but an achievement nonetheless.

In a very lighthearted and joking manner, which is generally the way Dr. Valentino tends to compose himself, he disclosed that in an entire three grueling years of playing high school basketball, he only managed to score a measly two points. When asked what made him try out and play basketball when he already excelled at tennis and swimming, Valentino had this to say.

“It clearly wasn’t my sport; I just played it because my friends were on the team. I wasn’t horrible. I was OK. I could dribble and everything, but I definitely wasn’t good enough, or tall enough as you could guess, to be put in more than 30 seconds at a time.”

Either way, Dr. Valentino came out of this with a learning experience and that’s the mentality that always drove him towards success.

Valentino Grew up in Alabama and had always shined in school. He earned his BS (Bachelor of Science) at Alabama State University, then moved on to Stephen F. Austin State University to get his MS (Master of Science). After earning a master’s, already more than he needed to pursue the career he had in mind,Valentino yearned for knowledge and continued his schooling. From Alabama to Texas, his final destination was St. Louis to attend Washington University. This is where he earned the title of Doctor when he received his PhD in Neurobiology.

Clearly overqualified for his teaching position, one would be surprised to know that even before earning an abundance of degrees, he had no intention to do anything except teach. This is something Valentino had known since high school.

“I always enjoyed helping others out, for example, I’d help my friends out in high school with their math homework and with lessons that they might’ve missed,” said Valentino.

Leading a busy and fulfilling life, Valentino partakes in many activities.

“Whenever I’m not swimming, playing tennis, traveling, taking long walks with my dog, Pollie (9-month-old Australian Shepherd), or teaching, I’m spending time with my daughter, and coaching the swim teams.”

Valentino has a good outlook on the teams this year, and thinks they may even be contenders to go to state.

When inquiring about any other path he would have pursued if he could go back in time, Valentino revealed that “Above all else, my dream would be to become an airplane pilot; I just love flying. When I was younger, still in school, I went to plenty of places like Paris and Rome. I loved it.”

Luckily for all the students at MHS that have taken Earth and Environmental Sciences, Botany, or Zoology, such as myself, Dr. Valentino decided to become a teacher, and consequently the comedian we all know and love.

Mehlville Media • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All Mehlville Media Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *