It's Your Story, We Just Tell It.

Mehlville Media

It's Your Story, We Just Tell It.

Mehlville Media

It's Your Story, We Just Tell It.

Mehlville Media

Donating, Taking, and Borrowing Books

by Savanna Heiney; News and Copy Editor

When a student enters Mehlville’s library, they can immerse themselves in another world where assignments and deadlines disappear. What if these novels and magazines suddenly became available for anyone who desired them?

Since the librarians constantly receive new material and have such a limited shelf space for all of the literary works, they have to consolidate. Basically, the books or resources kids and staff members do not check out anymore will end up on a small collection of bookshelves located just outside of the library.

“Most of these books were over ten years old and anyone can come here to take books to keep, donate their own, or just borrow for a little while,” said Librarian Sonia Mamroth.

Signs posted on these smaller bookshelves just outside the library’s doors say ‘Donate-Take-Borrow’. This program started at the beginning of the school year with a crate full of newspapers and magazines and one bookshelf filled to the brim. It’s collection of books and magazines grow daily, but at the same time vanish very quickly due to the readers who decide to pick up something that caught their eye on the shelf that day. Students and teachers commonly come by and browse to see if they can find an intriguing read.

“I love this idea because you can get free books; and I have at least found ten books that I really liked on these shelves. I think a lot of kids would find them interesting,” said freshman Olivia Roderick.

Individuals do not even have to worry about library fines or remember when to return a book to the library. They can just pick up something and be on their way to class with no questions asked. Students and Staff members can donate, take, or borrow these books at any time and hopefully enjoy the benefits of reading a mesmerizing story or article.  Mehlville’s Librarians wish that everyone might take a minute to stop and glance over the shelves or even begin their journey towards a life-long love of reading. Who knows what someone may uncover on the bookshelves that hold novels filled to the brim with knowledge and tales waiting for the perfect person to turn their pages once again after their long slumber.