It's Your Story, We Just Tell It.

Mehlville Media

It's Your Story, We Just Tell It.

Mehlville Media

It's Your Story, We Just Tell It.

Mehlville Media

Cafe Guy Brings Joy to Students

by Savanna Heiney; Copy Editor

The cafeteria staff is always happy to serve you.

With timeless phrases like ‘Have a good day bro’ and ‘I like to see that smile,’ the new addition to the Cafeteria Staff has grabbed the attention of students.
Before coming to work his first semester of café duties, Roy Clemens taught English at
Lindbergh High School for 15 years and also ran a restaurant before shutting it down. He also likes the St. Louis Cardinals and sometimes wears his red baseball cap while cashiering. Clemens enjoys the color red, eating all kinds of beans, watching the television show Wilfred and he likes the movie The Big Lebowski.
Humble yet enthusiastic, could describe this unique individual who raises bees and umpires
softball and football in his spare time. Clemens also believes that teens are cool,
extraordinary and remarked multiple times upon how impressed he was with the
politeness of the students and co-workers that he cheerily converses with on a daily basis.
“These kids are so polite and really are some of the best kids that I have ever worked with,” Clemens said about the character of the student population.
Clemens went on about how his favorite part about cashiering is cheering up
students by making them laugh and complimenting them on their unique or unusual
qualities. Some of these things include staying positive
despite the stress from classes, the songs they listen to, or if a person is really tall or wearing something interesting that day.
“The café guy [Clemens] really connects with you by remembering who you are and he’s always nice to you and hopes to make your day better,” said freshman Katie McCaffrey.
Lunch turns into the best part of the day for some students; and ‘that café dude’ enjoys the rapport and hearing stories about interesting moments that occur throughout the students’ day. Sometimes he rewards students with a couple of graham crackers when they display proper etiquette. This proves that a simple ‘please’ or ‘thank you’ does go a long way.
“If I could say anything to the student body at Mehlville it would have to be, not to sound cliché, to enjoy your day and that life is a
precious gift,” said Clemens.
He appreciates the little things, opportunities and the beauty of life. That is why ‘the new cafe guy’ likes working in the café with his upbeat crew of lovely lunch ladies. Clemens
enjoys what he does and hopes to make each day a little bit livelier for that individual by using his most notable phrase