It's Your Story, We Just Tell It.

Mehlville Media

It's Your Story, We Just Tell It.

Mehlville Media

It's Your Story, We Just Tell It.

Mehlville Media

Leadership Class Reaches Out

Image from KYTX.com
Image from KYTX.com

Last semester the MHS food pantry was running low and the students were not going to be able to take food home over winter break. The Leadership class decided to help out and tell the community. They went out and left flyers and bags for food and supplies on the doorknobs around the Mehlville area to see if they could stock up the pantry in time for the break.
“They just thought that it would be a good idea to see if we could reach out and get more,” said Jane Perrica, leadership advisor.
The Leadership class collected approximately 5,000 items donated from the community in just over a week. Since this drive was so successful, they are doing it again this semester.
“We know it helps a lot of kids at Mehlville so we want to keep it growing,” said Emily Helterbrand, junior.
Since the class realized their contributions made a great impact on the pantry, they are prepared to play a bigger role in it.
“We are more involved now since we collected all the items. We have since gone down and helped box things up or put things away and help keep it organized,” said Perrica.
Spending their time driving from house to house was not a tedious activity for the class. They enjoyed being able to bring students food for the break.
“It was fun, we got to be with our friends and help the community which was even better,” said Helterbrand.
Being a leader, senior Melissa Rogers understands the impact the pantry has on the student’s lives and was overjoyed to be a part of helping.
“I know there are a lot of kids who can’t feed themselves and their parents can’t even feed them. We can really help make it easier,” said Rogers.
Donating meals to the food pantry for the the students is a big help, however meals are not the only things that can be contributed. Teenagers need a bunch of things all throughout the day.
“Anything you can just throw in the microwave [is needed] because most kids cook it themselves. Snacks and maybe like little treats they can enjoy as well,” said Helterbrand.
Filling up the pantry is very easy to do, you do not even have to wait for a bag on your door. Just bring something straight into school; every little bit helps.