It's Your Story, We Just Tell It.

Mehlville Media

It's Your Story, We Just Tell It.

Mehlville Media

It's Your Story, We Just Tell It.

Mehlville Media

Students Aspire to Revive the Global Coffee House

Culture Club Not very many people can state with certainty that they have successfully resurrected a community’s lust for experiencing vast and unique cultures.  However, seniors Gabriel Gowen and Karlo Perhat can state this with ease.

“It all started in our Human Geography class and Karlo’s passion for Balkan culture. From there, we revived the Culture Club where we began celebrating various world cultures. That really took off. Now, we’ve decided we wanted to revive the Global Coffee House too,” said Gowen.

Of course, an event such as this definitely deserves a memorable name, but the meaning behind it is simple to understand.

“[The Global Coffee House] is a celebration of all of the different ethnic groups and nationalities within our community,” said Perhat.

With Perhat and Gowen being in their final year of high school, they decided they had to make it truly memorable.

“Unfortunately, the last time we had the Global Coffee House was five years ago, so not many people were able to experience it. We saw it as our duty to restart it to honor the uniqueness and diversity that is present in our community,” said Gowen.

Without a doubt, the community has taken a great interest in the Global Coffee House and its revival.  It will host thirteen performances from various cultures such as Croatian and Japanese as well as hosting tables for twenty four unique nationalities.

“I think part of the reason that people reacted in such a positive way was because people wanted to get out and they have an opportunity to learn about these groups of people that they usually don’t feel comfortable talking with,” said Perhat.

Even better, many students are excited to experience many of the cultures as well.

“After the initial assembly we had to get the word out, many people come up to me saying ‘Gabe this sounds really cool, I can’t wait for it!’” said Gowen.

But, it is not only the students that are anticipating the event.

“It’s especially great to see the teachers’ excitement.  They have many unique students in their classes every day, and now they can see them share their culture on a personal level and embrace it,” said Gowen.

Both Gowen and Perhat agree that organizing the Global Coffee House was the right, and only, thing to do.

“We get to be part of a bigger idea and something that gives purpose to our community and school. I think for that reason alone, that makes this event fantastic,” said Gowen.

The Global Coffee House will open Thursday, April 3 from 6:00 – 9:00 p.m.