It's Your Story, We Just Tell It.

Mehlville Media

It's Your Story, We Just Tell It.

Mehlville Media

It's Your Story, We Just Tell It.

Mehlville Media

Food Brought to You

JEA/ NSPA Convention participant enjoys a break with a quick bite to eat from the visiting food truck. Photo by Kayla Hezel.
JEA/ NSPA Convention participant enjoys a break with a quick bite to eat from the visiting food truck.

by Christopher King, Copy Editor

This weekend, thousands of students invaded San Diego for the semi annual JEA/NSPA Conference.  Students come from all over the country– including those few minutes away in San Diego, California to some many hours away in Saint Louis, Missouri.

However, all of these students have one thing in common: they all have to eat.

“We haven’t been to San Diego in a while, so we forgot where a lot of places were. Luckily the food trucks were here today for lunch,” said Choe Young, a student at Carlsbad High School.

Recently, a nationwide trend has been on the rise. People are on the go now more than ever, and that means they want their food on the go as well.

As a result, food trucks that are ready to offer their meals to everyone have increased in popularity. They offer a fast, ready to go meal that conference-goers can pick up and eat with little time.

“Today the trucks were especially nice, because we have been going to sessions all day and needed a quick break,” said Tyra Wu, a student at Carlsbad High School.

However, the trucks offer much more than a quick break.  The trucks travels in caravans of five or more providing a large selection of food ranging from seafood and Mexican food to delicious desserts like cupcakes.

An even bigger advantage is represented by the convenience of the trucks and extremely low wait time.

“People don’t go out to eat as much as they used to anymore. They want to be able to grab and go. They don’t wake up in the morning and decide to seek out a bakery to get a shortcake. So, I decided to put my business on wheels and bring my product to the customer,” said Holle Davis, owner of the Lil’ Miss Shortcake truck.

As a result, Davis’s truck received constant bombardment from students wishing to grab a quick snack as they head to their next session.

But, the preparation by the food trucks is on a scale of almost equal proportion to the conference itself.

“We spend long hours in the kitchen to accommodate for an event like this. For this conference alone, we spend six straight hours in the kitchen preparing various treats,” said Davis.

Even for those with specific food allergies, the food trucks can help provide a solution.

“There were many options at the different trucks, so if one didn’t have something for me, another truck had an alternative,” said Julie Ambo, a student from Carlsbad High School.

With so many new and exciting options for an entirely new generation of people, it is no wonder that these food trucks have received widespread acceptance and recognition.