It's Your Story, We Just Tell It.

Mehlville Media

It's Your Story, We Just Tell It.

Mehlville Media

It's Your Story, We Just Tell It.

Mehlville Media

A Closer Look at Colin Sides

Sides awaiting the next pitch in the outfield.
Sides awaiting the next pitch from the outfield with his summer baseball team.

Winter sports are coming to an exciting close, while all of the spring sports are quickly approaching. One of the popular spring sports includes baseball. Baseball happens to be the sport of choice for one very gifted senior, Colin Sides. Sides kindly answered 20 questions that will give you a closer look at the talented utility player.

Mehlville Media: How long have you been playing baseball?

Colin Sides: I have been playing baseball for as long as I have been able to walk. My first real baseball game was played when I was in kindergarten.

MM: What are your goals for the team this year?

CS: Our goals for the team this season are to improve our record from last year, outwork other teams on and off the field, and advance to the district finals. 

MM: What are your personal goals for this season?

CS: My personal goals for the season are improve my skills and set an example for my younger teammates. 

MM: What position(s) do you play?

CS:  I will be at shortstop this season but you can also find me out on the mound occasionally. Depending on where Coach O wants to put me, I can pretty much play anywhere on the field. 

MM: What is your favorite high school baseball memory?

CS: My favorite baseball memory at Mehlville was when Nick Wagganer showed up fashionably late one day before a game and Coach Ode made him run 50 poles.

MM: What is your pre-game routine?

CS: My pre-game routine is pretty weird because it is full of superstitions. If I’m slumping and can’t get a hit, I will pretty much try everything to change my luck. I try wearing two different socks, wearing only one batting glove or no batting gloves, taping my wrists before a game, using different bats, wearing different cleats, or doing different things when I’m on deck. The most important superstition is to never step on the foul line on game day. Have to keep the baseball gods happy.

MM: What is your favorite pre-game meal?

CS: Our games usually start at 4:15 so we begin preparing right after school, so there isn’t really time for a pre-game meal. But if I had a choice I would probably eat a big plate of pasta. 

MM: What is your favorite baseball movie?

CS:  I am fond of many baseball movies including Major League, Moneyball, Angels in the Outfield, Field of Dreams, and the Bad News Bears, but my all time favorite has to be Sandlot.

MM: What teammate do you have the closest relationship with?

CS: The teammate that I am closest with on the team is Brandon Rupp. We have been on the same team since freshman year and you can find us hanging out during practice and also outside of baseball. Brandon will be continuing his baseball career next year at CMU so if you see him around tell him congrats. 

MM: What’s on your pre-game playlist?

CS: I’m always jamming before the game to my pre-game playlist which includes anything from Migos to Nelly to Bob Marley. If we had walk up songs mine would probably be Chicken Fried or any other Zac Brown Band song.

MM: What got you interested in playing baseball?

CS: I would say my dad got me interested in baseball when I was a little kid and I fell in love with the game instantly. 

MM: What MLB player would you compare your playing style to?

CS: I guess I would compare myself to Ben Zobrist who just got traded from the Tampa Bay Rays to the Oakland A’s. Zobrist can play virtually anywhere on the field and he can also handle himself at the plate very well. 

MM: What have you done this offseason to prepare for the upcoming season?

CS: This off season we have gone to the weight room after school as a team and also have had a couple of open fields to work on our game.

MM: What are your plans for continuing your playing career after high school?

CS: My plans for after high school are still undecided.

MM: How do you think the team will do compared to last year?

CS: This years team has a lot of young talent and we are very optimistic that we can keep improving. 

MM: What’s your favorite dugout snack?

CS: My Favorite dugout snack is sunflower seeds. The best flavor is barbecue. 

MM: What is your favorite part of playing baseball?

CS: My favorite part of playing baseball is being able to hang out with all my friends all season long while playing the sport that I love.

MM: What motivates you to excel at this sport?

CS: I would say my coaches and teammates are the biggest influences that motivate me to excel.

MM: What is your jersey number and is there a story behind it

CS: I have worn jersey number 4 since I was a little kid. I chose the number 4 because of the greats that have worn the number including Earl Weaver, Ralph Kiner, Lou Gehrig, and many others.

MM: What career are you pursuing after high school?

CS: After high school I plan on studying Finance and having a career as a financial analyst and advisor.