It's Your Story, We Just Tell It.

Mehlville Media

It's Your Story, We Just Tell It.

Mehlville Media

It's Your Story, We Just Tell It.

Mehlville Media

Not Quite a Snow Day

Snow covers the sidewalk infront of Mehlville High School.

MEHLVILLE: An inch of snow paralyzed the metro area of St. Louis yesterday.

Drivers are forced to slow down when temperature drops and conditions deteriorate. Yesterday, the Missouri Department of Transportation  (MoDOT) struggled to clear interstates and major roads. Pre-treatment was used, but MoDOT faces questions about their response.  Commute times in the morning averages 2-3 hours on I-55 and I-270 in South County. Many Mehlville students were forced to stay home after hazardous conditions plagued Highway 21.

With local news stations reporting one to three inches of snow, students buzzed about the hopes of having a snow day.  No snow day was called, which comes from the office Superintendent, Dr. Eric Knost.  Knost posted on the Mehlville School District Facebook page explaining the process of yesterday’s decision to proceed with school.

MoDOT reported 250 crashes on January 12 across the area.  Whether an inch of snow or two feet, drivers always need to exercise extreme caution.  There are plenty of precautions one can take to prevent an accident.

• Slow down! Even if you are going to be late to school or work, you should prefer to get there in one piece.
  • Scrape the snow off ALL your windows.  You never know who could be coming from that one direction that you cannot see.
  • Turn your headlights on even if it is sunny outside, just to be safe.
  • Use your blinkers at all times.
  • Don’t leave unless you have to
  • Have a full take of gas and fully charged cell phone with car charger in your car.

And for those students who would do anything for a snow day, just remember that you WILL have to make it up at the end of the school year.

Jessie Franklin – Photo Editor

Photos Brent Pearson