Club Spotlight

Club+Spotlight
HOSA members compete in Orlando. Photo by Kristin Wheatley

Over the summer, 11 students from Mehlville HOSA  participated in HOSA’s 42nd Annual International Leadership Conference(ILC), on June 19-22, in Orlando Florida. Here they can compete, learn, and network with people all around the world; along with getting to spend time at the happiest place on Earth, Disney World. All 11 Mehlville delegates participated in testing events. 

One student even earned a scholarship. Alex Norrenberns (sophomore) received an ILC scholarship totaling $500.00. Norrenberns qualified for this by winning first place in his event at the State Leadership Conference (SLC) in Missouri. From there he was given questions to answer then send in. This scholarship paid for his trip.

Mary Galaske, Mehlville alumni, also received recognition for scoring in the top 10% of all the International Competitors.    

Though, not just any school can participate in this ILC. 

“In order to be a Bio-Medical school you have to have a HOSA Chapter.” – Kristin Wheatley

HOSA is an organization for those who see themselves pursuing a future in health and biomedical professions. Students develop leadership and technical skills through a program of motivation, awareness, and recognition; helping make the transition from education to careers seamless. 

“One of the best things about HOSA is you’re surrounded by people who have the exact same goal as you so you’re always striving for the same thing” – Lydia Brooks (HOSA President). 

While HOSA may seem very involved, students can choose how much time they spend. They can choose to compete in competitions, or just go to the meetings once a month. 

Every meeting offers something different; from speakers in the field to holiday parties. The club posts informational posters in the bathrooms.  For students thinking of a future in the medical field or just looking for a place to meet new people, HOSA provides opportunities for all.