It's Your Story, We Just Tell It.

Mehlville Media

It's Your Story, We Just Tell It.

Mehlville Media

It's Your Story, We Just Tell It.

Mehlville Media

Ribs by Lorde: A Letter to Adolescence

Pure Heroine album cover

Many teenagers today rely on music to provide an outlet for their feelings. This is seen through the increased use of social media, like Instagram and TikTok, which are both heavily fueled by music. Pure Heroine by Lorde has been a staple album for the theme of youth since its release in 2013. This album highlights the struggles of growing up and the responsibilities that come with it. This message is achieved through a generally moody sound, with the use of light and echoey vocals that come together to create an overall nostalgic feel. 

A song that stands out to me in this album by far is “Ribs”. In this song, Lorde talks about the bittersweet emotions that come with growing up. This song is amazing altogether, and provides a raw perspective on growing older and realizing your priorities. There are a couple lines that are repeated throughout “Ribs”, and I think they provide the best representation of the main idea of this song. 

The lyrics say, “This dream isn’t feeling sweet/We’re reeling through the midnight streets/And I’ve never felt more alone/It feels so scary getting old.” These lines mention the feeling of wishing to be older while young, flashing forward to her being struck by the haunting reality of losing her teenage years. I think Lorde’s choice of words in this song really strike the listener and leave a lingering impression on those who can relate to the lyrics.

“Ribs” is overall an unforgettable song, and a teenage anthem. Its ethereal production paired with lyrics that connect to many definitely makes it a highlight of Pure Heroine, as well as 2010s music as a whole.