2015 in Review: Top 5 Moments

Edit+By%3A+John+Erik+Hoglund+

Edit By: John Erik Hoglund

John Erik Hoglund, Editor-in-Chief

Athletes competed in District and State Championships, upset the favorite and put their names in school record books. Students and community members made a difference in their community, and a variety of clubs and organizations made their presence noticed. 2015 was certainly a year of success in and outside of the classroom. Mehlville Media takes a look at the top 5 events of 2015.

crew

Photo courtesy of: www.shonaskye.com
Photo courtesy of: www.shonaskye.com

5.) Grease storms Mehlville as the biggest play of the year.

In early October, the drama department produced seven shows of Grease to about 2,000 audience members. The show was directed by drama advisor, Alex C. Moore and senior Molly Gibbs. Flyers and playbills filled the school for most of September and October as the whole play created a social buzz around the school.

The entire football team celebrates after defeating Oakville 17-14 after a late 4th quarter field goal by junior, Landon Eggers. The team was awarded $1,000 and a state of the art tackling dummy for winning the 2015 St. Louis Rams Game of the Week.
The entire football team celebrates after defeating Oakville 17-14 with a late 4th quarter field goal by junior, Landon Eggers. The team was awarded $1,000 and a state of the art tackling dummy for winning the 2015 St. Louis Rams Game of the Week.
The final scoreboard after junior, Tim Ghorlmey intercepted a deep desperation pass.
From left to right: Jabari Shelton (11), Doraine Adams (11), Caylin Hurd (11), Brendon Mady (11), Samione Thompson (11), Erik Hoglund (12)

4.) Football stuns rival in St. Louis Rams Game of the Week

With the help of thousands of votes from supporters, the Mehlville and Oakville football teams earned the spotlight of the St. Louis Rams Game of the Week on Oct. 9. The teams battled until the very end as the score was tied at 14 with just a few minutes remaining. The Panthers marched from deep in their own territory to reach the red zone with 11 seconds remaining on the clock. Capping off the drive, junior kicker, Landon Eggers split the uprights on a game winning 23-yard field goal. The final drive was propelled by crucial blocking from seniors, Eddie Grochowski, Robert Jones and Erik Hoglund and aggressive running from junior, Jabari Shelton (115 yards rushing) and senior, Xzavier Judson (121 rushing yards)

Feb. 21 - Senior Jared McKindley places 4th of the 160 weight class in Missouri.
Feb. 21 – Senior Jared McKindley places 4th of the 182 weight class in Missouri.

3.) Students dominate at State

During late February, senior Jared Mckinley (now freshman at Lindenwood University) placed 4th in the 182 lb. weight class in the Class 4 State Wrestling Tournament. Seniors (now college freshman) Kyle Kaletka and Joe Ghormley also qualified in the State Tournament but did not place. In mid-October, Freshman Alyson Piskulic competed in the Tennis State Tournament at Cooper Tennis Complex in Springfield, Mo. Although she fell short in the first round, Piskulic was named a second team All-Metro Girl’s Tennis Team member, placing her as one the top 12 female tennis players in the area.

The team posses with the plaque after a 1-0 victory over Lindbergh to capture their second District Title in as many years.
Photo Courtesy of: Varsity Views
The team poses with the plaque after a 1-0 victory over Lindbergh to capture their second District Title in as many years.

The 2015 boys soccer team celebrates after winning the District Championship, 1-0 over Lindbergh. Senior, Chase Guerrero hold the plaque. Photo Courtesy of: Mehlville Soccer Twitter
The 2015 boys soccer team celebrates after winning the District Championship, 1-0 over Lindbergh. Senior, Chase Guerrero holds the plaque. Photo Courtesy of: Mehlville Soccer Twitter

Senior midfielder, Chase Guerrero holds the 2015 District Championship plaque while celebrating with senior Green Pit member, Matt Marler.
Photo By: John Erik Hoglund
Senior Green Pit leader, Cameron Ebling focusses near halftime of the 2015 District Championship against Lindbergh at Oakville High School.
Photo By: John Erik Hoglund
Senior Green Pit leader, Cameron Ebling focusses as halftime of the 2015 District Championship approaches. 

2.) Boys soccer takes home their second District title in two years

Thanks to a late game-winning goal by senior, Hasan Ahmetspahic, the boys soccer team defeated the Lindbergh Flyers 1-0 in the 2015 District Championship at Oakville High School.      “Scoring the game winner in the district final game was an amazing feeling. Seeing all the fans celebrating the goal felt even more amazing,“ said Ahmetspahic. The victory was the second District Championship title in two years for the Panthers.

Supt. Chris Gaines gives a speech at a community Prop R watch party at Andre's on Telegraph after hearing the final result of the vote.
Photo By: John Erik Hoglund
Supt. Chris Gaines gives a speech at a community Prop R watch party at Andre’s on Telegraph after hearing the final result of the vote.

Collage Prop RPhotos and Editing by: John Erik Hoglund

1.) Prop R passes thanks to loads of community support

Aug. 17 –  The board of education voted in 5-1 favor to allow Proposition Restore (Prop R) on the November ballot. Proposition Restore later totaled in a whopping 72.5% vote in favor of the 49 cent tax increase. The passing of the proposition was propelled by continuous student and community support throughout the campaign. 

Thank you for a great year, Mehlville Media supporters

See you in 2016