Chance Hamilton Treatment Update

Mikayla Kuhlmann, Opinion Editor

After a couple of stressful months searching for positive news, Chance Hamilton received words that are allowing him to advance with his treatment, and his hope.

Just a little while ago, Chance found out that he needed to be treated for a bone marrow transplant. With the good news of this treatment taking place, Chance faced many struggles that may have not allowed him to be operated on, or may have prolonged the transplant process.

With the help from the Mehlville community, Chance received funds to help cover the costs of his bone marrow transplant.

Through the searching for the perfect match donor, Chance found out that his sister, Amelia Hamilton, a senior at Mehlville high school, was a perfect match for the bone marrow transplant.

Chance says he is excited that someone so close to him is able to help with the treatment, although it is extremely unusual.

“This is extremely rare. Siblings unusually don’t fully match up to be donors”. Said Chance.

Despite the rarity, Chance and his sister Amelia plan to start the transplant process soon in hopes of improving Chance’s health.

Photo Courtesy of Chance Hamilton
Photo Courtesy of Chance Hamilton 

Chance (left), and his mother, Jennifer (right) Photo Courtesy of Chance Hamilton

Original story, as featured in Student Prints:

Class of 2014 graduate, Chance Hamilton, a singer and a musically inclined individual was  recently diagnosed  news that he was diagnosed with ALL-acute-Leukemia. Yet through the battling and the tough times, Hamilton never let this setback take away his smile.

In his days at Mehlville, Hamilton was involved in swimming, band, and choir and sang as a Tenor One during his early high school years and progressed to a Baritone.

Not only is his voice gifted, but his ability to play instruments such as the trumpet, french horn, piano, guitar, and the drums is a gift as well.

Shortly after the new year, Hamilton wasn’t just battling other’s with his musical talents, but he was battling with an internal sickness that came very unexpectedly.

“I had been having stomach pains for a few days, but after taking Gas-X and other over the counter drugs to try and relieve my pain, nothing was working,” said Hamilton.

Hamilton also states that the stomach pain continued to get worse over a time span of about a week and three days, limiting him to day by day activities.

“I called out of work 3 days in a row and at that point, I told my mother something had to be seriously wrong with me because nothing was helping. So at that point I went to the ER,” said Hamilton.

After being rushed to the hospital, Hamilton was put through various blood tests and within 30 minutes, the doctors came back with a final diagnosis. Chance had been diagnosed with ALL-acute-Leukemia. A type of cancer of the blood and bone marrow that affects white blood cells.

“I was calm when I heard the news since I had assumed something was seriously wrong. I was more concerned with “Is this treatable/curable?” And how can we fix me?,” said Hamilton.

Immediately after finding out the diagnosis, Hamilton was conveyed to the Siteman Cancer Center at Barnes Jewish Hospital where they began to treat him right away.

“My white blood counts (WBC) were incredibly high when I got there. A normal count would’ve been anywhere between 2,000 and 10,000. Mine registered in at 256,000 so they had to lower that ASAP,” said Hamilton.

Hamilton has been very patient and positive while been going through four treatments of chemotherapy and hopes to end these treatments with a bone marrow transplant.

With the treatments’ expenses building up, the Mehlville community has come together and started fundraising for Hamilton and his treatments.

Photo Courtesy of Chance Hamilton
Photo Courtesy of Chance Hamilton
Photo Courtesy of Chance Hamilton
Photo Courtesy of Chance Hamilton