Croatian Sensation Duo

Allen Ganic, Sports Editor

Last year I had the opportunity to cover the news of a freshman on the girls varsity tennis team that had qualified for the state tournament for singles. You might remember reading that story around this same time last year titled “Piskulic Served up Success at State”. Fast forward to present time and that same girl, Alyson Piskulic, sophomore, has yet again reached state and this time competed in the doubles tournament with teammate Andrea Luzaic, senior.

Both players performed significantly well throughout the year in singles matches, Piskulic losing only one match to Lindbergh’s top player, and just as great in doubles, losing just one match together. Following the regular season they breezed through districts and sectionals, earning their spot into the state doubles tournament. Their efforts came up short however in the first round as they lost to the eventual doubles state champions from Rock Bridge. Despite the loss both players still felt great for the opportunity.

“I was excited to go to state since it is my senior year and we played great together so I knew it would be a fun experience,” said Luzaic. “I was still nervous of course since it was my first time at the state.”

Part of the reason for the duo’s accomplishments comes from their connection on and off the court.

“Andrea and I are both very close off the court, so when we were on the court we were always very comfortable with each other and could communicate freely,” said Piskulic.

This connection  between the two explains how their team nickname came about, Croatian Sensation.

“The name “Croatian Sensation” was actually a nickname her friend’s dad gave us at state because we’re both Croatian,” said Luzaic.

After two years of playing together they now go on their own paths as Luzaic will be graduating and Piskulic has two years left in her high school career. Despite the two splitting up, Piskulic remains focused for her future and is keeping a high standard for herself.

“Next season I plan to play singles for individuals and my goal for the year is to finish in the top eight of the state tournament,” said Piskulic.

When I interviewed Piskulic last year she was proud of herself for making it to state because she set that goal before her freshman year. She then made it a goal to reach the tournament again this year, which she accomplished. A major reason for Piskulic’s success is the dedication that she has towards the game.

“Alyson is a very hard working player and is very passionate about what she does. She is the prime example that with hard work and dedication, anything can be achieved,” said Jill Wojewuczki, coach of the girls varsity tennis team.

Overall this has been a positive year for the girls varsity tennis team as they finished the year with a record of 14 wins, 3 losses, and 1 tie. They hope to continue this success in coming years and will be expected to following the high standard set by the “Croatian Sensation” duo.